Sergeant Clarence Milton Carr RCAF

Crew Flight Sergeant Clarence Milton Carr
Service Number R/58600 RCAF
Squadrons  623
Known Movements (Postings) No.30 O.T.U 28.08.1943 (Out)
  No.1665 Con Unit  28.08.1943 (In) 27.09.1943 (Out)
  No.623 Squadron 30.09.1943 (In)
Promotions Not Known

 Operations Flown with No.623 Squadron RAF Downham Market (Short Stirling Mk.III)

Pilot- Pilot Officer K Shaw RNZAF
2nd Pilot
EF158 IC-S

Wing Commander Wynne-Powell letter to the Clerance’s sister in Detroit USA informing her of the loss of her brother while on operations.

Failed to Return

31-year-old Carr’s name is recorded on the Runnymede Memorial.

The now pilotless crew were broken up and sent to various squadrons. Canadian Bombaimer F/Sgt A E Dimock was killed on January 14th 1944 attacking Braunschweig with No.514 Squadron based at RAF Waterbeach. Skippered by F/Sgt Mason RNZAF Lancaster Mk.II LL679 JI-J2 crashed killing all the crew. Airgunner Sgt R R A Mirams RAFVR was killed on January 30th 1944 also with No.514 Squadron. He was lost while attacking Berlin with F/Lt G K Boyd DFC in Avro Lancaster Mk.II DS709 JI-G. Sergeant H L Grey was posted to No.115 Squadron based at RAF Witchford. He was shot down and made P.O.W on March 24th 1944 attacking Berlin with P/O L M McCann RCAF ( ex 623 Squadron ).  Sergeant K Morley RAFVR wireless op was killed attacking Schweinfurt with F/Lt J B Hornby (ex623 Squadron) on February 24th 1944.  I have yet to establish the movements of Airgunner Sgt J Johnstone and flight engineer Sgt F R Benfold.

Additional Notes :

Clarence Carr spent a number of his early years living with his sister in Detroit USA, where he attended school.  It was while in Detroit he decided in 1940 that he wanted to join the RCAF.

Born in 1912 in South Porcupine, Ontario Carr’s early training took the usual route.  He was involved in an accident while training at No.30 O.T.U  RAF Hixon on July 31st 1943 when  Vickers Wellington Mk.X HE917 suffered hydraulic failure.  Without the assistance of the flaps the screen pilot instructor Flight Sergeant P Clifton took control of the Wellington as it came into land at 0335hrs. In an attempt to avoid a hedge Clifton swung the Wellington to port but due to the speed the Wellington crashed onto a nearby railway line. All the crew managed to escape if but with cuts and bruises and shock. The Wellington burnt out.  It is reported that a “nickel” flight was undertaken while with No.30. O.T.U. (Course No.18)

Posted to No.1665 Con Unit  the instructors early reports were rather unflattering  on Carr and his crew,  OC”C” Flight Squadron Leader R Alexander AFC reported “ A quite steady type” while Squadron Leader  R Glass DFC  (ex 214 Sqdn)  OC of “D” Flight recorded “A average pilot, crew rowdy in the air “.  However as the course progressed it would appear that the Carr crew started to bond and the initial rowdiness was replaced with a professional  determination. No.1665 CGI Squadron Leader G Fowler DFC (ex 75 Sqd) reported “ I like this captain, but agree he must be firmer”.   The final comment was by No.1665 commanding officer, Wing Commander P Crompton DFC (ex 9 Sqd) “ A sound crew with no weak links “

The crew had flown at the time of posting to No.623 Squadron,  a total of 24hrs 26 mins day and 16hrs 40 mins night.