Flight Sergeant John Phillip Wallace RAAF

FL Wallace RAAFa

John Wallace soon after joining the RAAF

Crew                                     Flight Sergeant John Phillip Henry Wallace RAAF

Service                                  Number  413464

Awards                                  None




Flight Sergeant

Pilot Officer

Flying officer

Flight Lieutenant              Acting  1st October 1943


No.11 O.T.U

No.1651 HCU

No.218 Squadron             29th July 1943

No.623 Squadron             10th August 1943



Sgt M Nesbitt

2nd Pilot


BF568 IC-B

Attacked from 16000ft, a few scattered glows seen





EE966 IC-E

Planted three mines successfully in Garden. One engine failed 45 minutes from Garden and trip was completed on three engines.  Weather 5-10 over France stormy on return.



Munchen Gladbach

EE899 IC-E

Cloud but clear patch over target. Ground detail not identified but bombed on TI Markers. Reports fairly good concentration around TI markers with bombing further south about 5 miles.

Note :There is no mention in the squadron ORB of a fighter encounter, however the crew flight engineer Sergeant John Windle’s Log Book records an encounter.

30th Sep

Ju88 encounter recorded in Sgt J W Windle’s Log Book




EE899 IC-E

Low cloud at target, no ground detail identified. Bombed centre of 6 Green TI Markers. Bombing scattered.




EE966 IC-E

Crew passed through heavy front on way to the target. W/V were in the region of 40mph. Cloud was encountered over route, but target area was clear but hazy.  TI markers were bombed.  Fires were well concentrated around markers and a good prang is claimed. Heavy flak was reported above and below and the target ringed with searchlights. obviously operating with fighters which were numerous.  Bombed 15,500ft.




EE966 IC-E

Bombed from 15000ft. This aircraft reported haze over the entire route and target which made identification impossible. TI Reds were bombed. Four minutes after bombing our aircraft was attacked by a JU88. The enemy aircraft was seen but fire held as it could not be established in the fighter was a friendly Wellington.  Dropping to the rear the enemy fighter came in for a stern attack.

It was then identified and the rear gunner gave the pilot directions to corkscrew.  The enemies burst failed to hit our machine but four members of our crew saw our tracer hit the JU88. No claim was made however. Flak was described as ineffective.  Searchlight estimated at about 20 but not troublesome.

Wallace Sept

Combat Report detailing the JU88 encounter September 8th 1943


Montlucon (Dunlop Rubber Factory)


EE966 IC-E

 Bombed from 5000ft.  This aircraft also reported the target was covered by a mass of thick brown cloud.  Green TI Markers were bombed.  One large intense fire was observed in the SW of  corner of the target.



Modane (Railway Complex)

EE966 IC-E

Target bombed from 13,500ft on Green TI Markers. One large fire and a lot of H/E was seen close to the TI’s.




EH994 IC-P

Bombed from a height of 16000ft on Green TI Markers. Pilot reports seeing a mass of concentrated fires and much smoke. The fires were visible from the enemy coast of the return route.  

There is no mention of this encounter in the ORB.

Wallace Sept 2

Combat Report records the encounter with the FW190 September 22nd 1943





EH994 IC-P

This aircraft bombed from 15,500ft on Green TI Markers.  Visibility was good with no cloud.  One very large fire was seen in the southern part of the target area. The crew reported what appeared to be artificial  fires scattered throughout area.  They think they may have been used to outline the aircraft against the night sky.



Silverthorne 10

EJ121 IC-Q

Planted three mines successfully in garden area.  Aircraft arrived in the allotted garden area at 23.51hrs and mining was carried out 6000ft. Visibility good no incidents reported.  



2nd Pilot Sgt Hookway


EF155 IC-O

Reported low cloud over target but reported seeing explosions around Red TI Markers. Arrived early  and saw one Green TI Marker but stood off just south of target, saw a Red TI go down so bombed it.  Ground detail could not be seen. Red TI seemed OK for position and timing.





EF155 IC-O

Veg planted duty carried out.



2nd Pilot F/O D Petch RCAF


EF155 IC-O

1720hrs – FTR


The aircraft was hit by barrage flak either over the target area or on leaving, reports differ. Three of the crew managed to parachute to safety before the aircraft crashed  into a 1,200ft high  forested  hill called “Hunderbrunnen”  3 miles NW of Edenkoben, Germany at 21.45hrs. The five fatalities are buried in the Rheinberg War Cemetery.

The crews navigator Flying Officer N Lampard recalls the events of that night;

I was sitting at the navigators table when we were hit. A flak burst exploded directly under the nose section, hundreds of holes appeared in the fuselage around the bomb aimer’s position. A gale of icy wind swept along the fuselage, it was obvious immediately that the aircraft damaged badly. John, the skipper gave the order to bail-out, then Ron in the bomb aimers position reported over the intercom that the front hatch was jammed.  I went forward to try and help, the force of the explosion from the flak had buckled the hatch tight. Unable to open the hatch I returned to the cockpit where I informed John that the hatch was jammed. I stood slightly behind John and the Canadian “second Dickie” waiting for the inevitable crash.  I regain consciousness lying in a wooded area littered with the burning remains of my aircraft.  I was in considerable pain, however my thoughts were clear, I realized that I should try and move to cover as I was worried about explosions.  After what seemed like hours, I managed to drag myself to an isolated farm house. With my condition worsening, I decided to knock on the door for assistance. The residents took me in and treated my wounds. I was not fully aware of the extent of my injuries but it was obvious I needed urgent medical treatment. Within a short time a German lorry arrived, German troops unceremoniously lifted me onto the back of the truck. I was immediately taken to a local German hospital where I received attention. I have vague recollection of seeing my flight engineer John Windle in the back of the lorry.”

Wallace RAAF original grave

The original grave of John Wallace and crew.